Saturday, October 24, 2009

call me


I have always been quite taken by J's collection of vintage calling cards (the intricate hand-lettering! the minimalist design!), so today I finally decided to do a little research. Here is what I found out:
The term "Calling" or the verb "to call" was a common Victorian term for making a visit. The card was left at the door, or in the front parlor in a silver urn, basket or "Card Receiver". These receivers were placed to hold cards for the family, whether they be home or not. Cards left reminded the family of who had called, thus requiring a visit in return. This served as a mode of communication, to receive messages, greetings and announcements of who was in town, births, deaths, sympathy announcements, engagements, and general social events. As a form of communication, the calling card in itself was considered a very important message. It was also an exciting day in the social life of a young Victorian era family member to be granted their first calling card.
To continue this little history lesson, click here and here. My favorite are the "hidden name" (!) cards. Had I lived in the Victorian era, I definitely would have had one of those... ;o)

4 comments:

leaca said...

It all makes sense now. The phrase he/she left their calling card. =]

great collection.

Mary O' said...

The picture of the Madonna and child--I believe this is Black Madonna of Częstochowa Czarna Madonna or Matka Boska Częstochowska in Polish (and we can get Grandma to say it for us in Polish)nokis, Poland's holiest relic and one of the country's national symbols.

Anonymous said...

Between your posting, Kitty, and Mary's comment I feel a lot smarter today. Thanks for the fascinating information.

Dano

p.s. Eventually, I'll figure out how to get my own identity.

Momya Rogers said...

Way Cool, and very important information! I remember Ma talking about calling cards long ago.....